Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Health Update -- 6/18

Hi folks,

"Ahhhhh, crap," you're thinking,  "he wrote a novella."  Well, I have good reasons for being loquacious, so bear with me ;-}

I haven't sent an update to everyone in a while because quite honestly, there hasn't been a lot to update, and as long as you're seeing my snarky posts on FB, you know that I'm still kickin'.  This week has been a busy one though, in a good way. 

On Thursday, I finally got my porta-cath placed (click here if you want the gory details)  -- which is fantastic because it means I can workout, bike, sweat, not have to change an itchy dressing once a week, flush the clots every day, and I can stop subsidizing SC Johhnson's "Saran Wrap" division every time I take a shower.  YAY!  I think the ability to work out will do worlds of good for both my mental and physical well being.  I just have to wait 3 weeks for the incisions to heal and then I'm golden. 

Yesterday (Friday) I had a check up with my oncologist and got all good news.  He's very pleased with the progress that I'm making, and said that very few people had lab work that looked as good as mine after 2 chemo treatments.  That indicates that 1) I'm keeping up with nutrition 2) my overall health is still really good, and 3) my white cell counts are back up to normal, so I no longer have to fear every kid like a heat-seeking missile.  I still have to be vigilant, and avoid toddlers, crowds, and sick people, obviously, because infections at this point in my life can be deadly, but a strong immune system does a lot to reduce the threat.

The doctor is also pleased that I've gained weight -- I've put on about 5-6lbs in the past couple of weeks, which again, is an indication that the nutritional things we are doing are working.  In addition, the doctor said it's probably a good indication that it's easier for me to eat as the tumor shrinks (which it is).  He also said that cancer has physiological effects on the body, soaking up nutrients to feed its nefarious growth, and excreting waste products that screw with your metabolism.  Hence, the fact that my weight loss has reversed is also a really good sign that we're kicking ass and taking names.  All of this is far from a clean PET scan -- we still have a long road ahead -- but this is darn sure encouraging news that we're on the *right* road. ;-}

And to answer everyone's question: yep, my hair is falling out -- it started right after the last treatment and was driving me nuts, so I clipped it to about 1/2" all over.  Now, some say I look like a younger, hotter, smarter, less-high version of Woody Harrelson (ok, I added the younger/hotter/smarter part, but the other stuff is assumed, right?).  I suspect I'll lose more this week and probably get sick of it and shave it all within a few days.  So far only the hair north of the Arctic Circle has been affected -- I'm still as Sasquatchal as ever from the neck down.  This too shall pass.

Last night was chemo round 3.  As usual, everything was fine during the treatment -- I was probably a bit less alert because I'm still recovering from the port placement anesthesia, and I'm a little tired, but there were no significant problems.  If the pattern holds, I'll probably feel ok today and most of tomorrow, and then start feeling crappy (tired, mild nausea, headache) tomorrow night and Monday -- then gradually start improving. and be fine again by mid-late week.

Thank you all so much for your many emails, text messages, calls, thoughts, prayers, DVDs, and 5lb bags of taffy.  You guys know I'm not a religious fellow, but I am a "Cosmic" fellow, and I believe that every time you invoke my name in a positive way that it comes back to me.  The good news above is evidence that it's working -- you guys, and most especially Marcus, are a huge part of my treatment.  Without Marcus at my side prodding me to eat and putting up with my antics, and you guys standing behind us in support, I'm not sure where I would be -- and I'm glad I don't have to worry about it.  Again, my most sincere thanks. ;-} 

Love,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment