Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Yes, I watch too much Discovery channel....

Isn't it hard to believe that the holidays are upon us again already?  Every year someone says "gosh, it seems like it was just Christmas the other day.  How can it be here again already?"  And it's true -- it does seem like it comes around quicker every year.  I wondered about that: does time really pass faster as you age? As a kid, it always seemed like Christmas would NEVER get here. The 3 weeks between Thanksgiving and the start of the winter break seemed to take an eternity to pass.  Now, an entire year passes in the blink of an eye.  As luck would have it, the Discovery channel answered the burning question for me as a scientific fact: time does pass more quickly as you age.  In fact, you can even calculate how quickly using a handy formula:

sq rt(Your Age / 10)

So at age 10, it seems to pass at the rate of 1 perceived year to 1 actual year; at age 40, it's a 2:1 ratio -- time appears to pass twice as fast, and continue to increase as you get older.  Amazing the tidbits I squirrel away in my brain, huh?

Alright, so you didn't click this link to read my ramblings about pseudo-scientific crapola.  As evidenced by the emails and such, you want to know what's going on in Missouri City.  The quick answer is "not very much," but the long answer goes on for a while.

As you know from previous updates, I finished chemo/radiation on October 6 and I'm now in my 6 week period of rest. When radiation ended, 6 weeks of bombardment with x-rays had begun to take a pretty significant toll on me. I'm pleased to report that since my last blog entry, I have regained my voice, and I'm able to drink water a bit more easily.  Unfortunately, eating remains a struggle, especially early in the morning.  That's a true drag, because I'm a big fan of breakfast, and even mushy oatmeal is outside the realm of possibility before about 10am.

In other news, I'm back at work now, full time, after taking a few weeks off to recover from the radiation treatments.  That's mostly going well, although I still very tire easily.  It's good to be back at my post, and interacting with the world again. 

As for what's next, I have a PET scan scheduled for the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and a scope/biopsy and CT scan scheduled the week after.  On December 2, we see the oncologist and get a report about what kind of good progress we've made.  

Please keep Marcus and me in your thoughts, prayers, positive positive Karmic energy beams.  We appreciate them all.

Love,
James

PS Thank you all for your continued text messages, phone calls, emails and such.  I really appreciate them.  As most of you know, I suck at phone calling (we all have to have ONE human foible, right? ;-) -- but I will be in touch by email, text message, carrier pigeon, or note tied to a brick.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're starting to get your voice back and hopefully you don't overdo it at work. You guys are my heros! And I ponder, can you actually watch too much Discovery channel? Is that even possible?

    ReplyDelete