Howdy folks, and happy new year!
I thought the first post of the new year would be a good
time to say thank you to all the folks who've been following my progress and
sending so many wonderful comments, thoughts, prayers, positive packets of
cosmic energy and the like. Over the
holidays, I got a fair bit of positive feedback about the blog, and even some
gentle nudging to get the next entry posted.
Each blog entry is like cooking a new recipe: you start out with a
particular end in mind, but sometimes it comes out a bit different than you
intended. They almost always satisfy
your hunger, and occasionally turn out to be a delight; rarely do they turn out to be completely
inedible, but sometimes they turn out to be just a sandwich, fit only for hasty consumption while
standing in the kitchen. Again, thank you
all so much for your encouragement and comments about my writings and progress -- trust me,
it does me a lot of good to get thoughts on paper, even when they are barely
"edible."
Weapons of Mass Destruction -- The Brown Note:
Yesterday was my checkup with the doctor after the second
chemo treatment of round 2. As many of
you know, the latter half of December has left me feeling not so hot: the pain
in my back hasn't really lessened as the doctor had hoped, and has increased to
some extent. In addition to that, I've
mostly just lazed about, generally not feeling too good nor having much in the
way of energy. Yesterday's visit with
the doctor confirmed what we'd been worrying about: the doctor doesn't think
the chemo regimen that had worked so well during the summer is having the good
effects that we'd hoped for this time around.
Most patients, he said, have good luck when they return to the previous,
successful regimen; however, in some folks with over-achieving cells (like mine)
the cells get smarter and eventually develop resistance to that particular
combination. Hence, we scrapped that
cocktail, and went with a completely new recipe
(Irinotecan/Carboplatin/Avastatin).
We'll try this for a couple of rounds, then see how things are going
again.
The Irinotecan is an interesting drug. At least 10 people from the doctor, to the
doctor's PA and nurse, to the chemo nurses, assistants, and pharmacist all
started describing it with "now, this one is known for giving you diarrhea. I wouldn't go home without stopping by the
store for some Imodium, just in case."
Ok, great -- but we can handle it.
The real amusement came when the nurse showed up with the IV bag
containing the drug. Unlike all the
other drugs and pre-meds that come in clear bags, it was enshrouded in a brown plastic bag. This made me giggle uncontrollably. I asked the nurse if it was color coded, but
she either didn't think it was funny, or didn't get the joke. Gotta keep your sense of humor where you can! (The real reason for the brown bag -- or so she said -- is because the drug is light sensitive.)
So the infusion got about half way done, and the nurse kept
checking on me to see if I'd had any uncontrollable episodes -- I hadn't, but I
sure had the corresponding cramps. So
they stopped the infusion mid-way, and administered another drug: atropine, to combat the
cramping. Now, I've watched enough Gulf
War/spy movies to remember that soldiers who are likely to be exposed to
chemical weapons carry an atropine auto-injector. So I looked it up on my handy iPhone, and by the time I finished
reading about it, I didn't know which was worse, the chemo or the atropine. Both are pretty wicked. Nonetheless, it got me through the chemo
session, and I'm happy to report that my digestive constitution is, thus far, in
good order.
This concludes my Number Two entry in the Blog Series for
the Scatologically Inclined. I thought
it only fitting that I round out my entries after last month's Yellow Snow
topic.
Best wishes to all of you for a great new year. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers -- it
helps more than you know.
James
Nice! I sure love me my dose of Shewbie's Prattle. I think I was a bit more than merely gently nudging when requesting a new post, LOL! It was so good to visit with you and Marcus, thank you both so much for your hospitality. Keep on fighting, keep on writing and may your guts be spared the wrath of those brown WMDs.
ReplyDeleteOnce again I had to laugh out loud! Thank you for your posts an know that both Gregg and I are sending prayers and good energy the size of WMDs. Keep kicking those wretched C cells arse. Love you,
ReplyDeleteLiz and Gregg
I am so glad that you are documenting this for all of us to read. Your sense of humor and attitude are more than a match for their WMD's!
ReplyDelete