Friday, June 21, 2013

The story continues...



James could always tell the best stories...even though if you asked him, he would say that he did not know any stories...but as we all know, it would just take him a little time and he would remember something and weave the most amazing story.  He would say that he was just babbling, but I always would love the car trips we would take, cause that is when the stories would come out...with a little help from a fig newton.
So in that same fashion, I would like to continue his story telling, by letting y'all know what has been going on over the past couple of months.  Well, as some of you know, I left my job at Dow.  I know, gasp! But I made a decision back in February of 2012 to redefine the use of my background towards helping other people battling cancer.  Thus, this shift in focus has led me to the field of bioengineering: specifically to the areas of virus engineering and nanobiotechnology.  

The decision to switch from one distinct field to another was not taken lightly. I considered pursuing other avenues, but in each case, the path always led back to gaining more education to pursue my dream.  My previous research experiences from The University of Texas at Austin, the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, and Dow Chemical gave me a unique skill set.  So after applying to several universities in the Houston area, I was accepted into the MBE program here at Rice University.  The MBE program is a course work masters program, so I would still need the research aspect to help with my transition into the area of cancer research.  But as James' always said, "You just have to get in the door, don't let them tell you no." 

Well, I took that statement to heart, cause after emailing the entire department, I started a discussion with Dr. Junghae Suh and after many eamils back and forth, she offered me a complamentry position within her group.  So after visiting with some of her current graduate students, I knew that the path I am about to travel will be potentially a great fit for the type of research that I am very interested in conducting.  Because my ultimate goal is to be able to gain the needed experience to obtain an faculty position at a university or research institute to further the advancement of cancer research and Dr. Suh is helping me do just that.  We are putting together a grant to help fund my research project.  This grant is specific for researchers whom come from a totally different field but who want to enter the bioengineering area.  It is a developmental mentor grant and I just think it would fit me to a tee...if I can get it...but as James' said, "don't let them tell you no."  And I am not about to let that happen.

So I am going to be posting updates on how my research is going and everything else that is going on to keep y'all in the loop, cause I keep asking myself, knowing what I know now about the events of the past the last 13 months since James passed away, would I have changed anything or have done anything different in the past 14 years? Well yes, that decision to rent a limousine for a Valentine's day dinner with an ice storm approaching Austin was not the smartest idea, but it does make a great memory and great story to tell friends now about how on that night, James and I had to help the driver get the limousine out of the parking lot because the tires were stuck in the ice that accumulated during our 4 hour dinner.  But I would never change the fact that on December 5, 1998, I opened the door of my brother's house in Lubbock, Texas to meet the sweetest, most caring, lovable person I have ever had the pleasure to meet in my life.  James said to me something very special that last day of his life, he said, “Just listen, you may have to listen hard, but I will be talking to you, where ever I am.”  I know that where ever he is in the universe, he is looking down with a smile on his face; because he knows that if given the chance, I will work wonders to try to figure out a way to help the next person or family that has to endure what we went through with James’ battle with Esophageal Cancer....and that is something worth working towards.

Check out my Project Overview for more information...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updates and the continuation of the tradition .. i do miss him and his stories... even though we didnt hang out as much as i always wanted... I would always be caught up with what is going on... and with a little smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Glad you're keeping this going! I'll bet James is smiling as well.

    ReplyDelete